Visitors 346
0 photos

With its low centre of gravity, the AEC Regent III double deck bus chassis was a particularly suitable carriage for a 100' turntable ladder, and in its shortened form, a pump escape.

From March 1950 until April 1957, the Regent III was supplied to fire brigades in the UK and around the world, with some 138 appliance chassis being assembled at the Maudslay Motors factory in Alcester. Each had a standard Maudslay 5-digit chassis number, the "P" or "D" prefix denoting petrol or diesel engine, and the "L" or "R" suffix standing for left or right hand drive.

Ladders and pump equipment were manufactured by Merryweather & Sons Ltd of Greenwich, in South East London. Bodywork was by Merryweather, or by Park Royal Vehicles Ltd.

Coventry Corporation received nine Regent IIIs (M9612E4639-47) assembled at the Maudslay works at Alcester in late 1950, apparently supplied to the Corporation in lieu of a rates debt. The buses received Maudslay badging & chassis numbers 50001-9. Bodywork was by Metro-Cammell.
This gallery is empty.